3lb chicken pieces, skin removed, washed in lime/lemon and water, seasoned in a marinade of chopped onions, chive, thyme, garlic, mustard, ketchup, salt and black pepper
1lb rice, washed
1/4 block creamed coconut
1 large onion, sliced
1 sweet pepper, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
12oz pigeon peas, cooked OR 1 tin pigeon peas, drained
2-3 tbsp cooking oil
1 hot pepper (optional)
salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot.
2. Add sugar; allow to burn until dark brown.
3. Stir in the chicken and turn until evenly coated with sugar. Leave to cook for five minutes.
4. Stir the rice into the chicken, turning often until well blended. Cook for three minutes more.
5. Add the onion, sweet pepper, carrots and peas, and stir-fry for a few seconds.
6. Next add water, creamed coconut, hot pepper (if used), salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer on a low heat for approx. 30 mins, or until rice is cooked and all liquid has evaporated.
7. Serve with a crisp green salad.