500g boneless saltfish
500g onions, finely chopped
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
½ small bunch fresh thyme (without stalks)
2 large Scotch Bonnet peppers, finely chopped
250g plain flour
250g self-raising flour
Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil saltfish to get rid of excess salt. As water comes to the boil, remove from cooker, throw water off and refresh fish in cold water.
- Using fingers, shred the fish into small pieces into a mixing bowl. To this add the chopped onions, thyme and peppers, and mix well.
- Mix the two types of flour together, then add the flour into the fish mixture, a little at a time, adding water until a batter is achieved.
- In a deep frying pan or Dutch Pot, heat oil until it begins to sizzle (you can test by dropping in a bit of batter). Immerse a teaspoon into the hot oil, then put the spoon into the mixture taking some onto the tip, and put it into the oil.
- Continue dropping batter by this method until pan is full. Fry until golden brown, then remove from pan with a slotted spoon and place on a tray covered with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Enjoy!